Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Thursday, March 27 (8:33AM)

Sadly, I was not able to get into the Red Sox game in the Tokyo Dome. But I did get to see some of the game on the jumbotron. Here's a home run.



This morning I awoke afer a very refreshing 7 hours sleep and finally went to the Tsukiji Fish Market. It was everything I had heard it would be, huge, loud, bustling, more than a little intimidating. A great experience.

I also managed to get a glimpse at the Tuna Auctions, which I thought were closed to the public, but seemed pretty open this morning.




This is an auction about to begin.

Just after I shot that video, my camera died. But here are some images I managed to get before that.



The market.



Scallops, not cleaned. These reminded me of how scallops are served in Peru, with their bright orange liver still attached.



Tuna, from what I could tell at the very hurried pace they were being driven past me.

I also want to show you an image of the beef that I've seen here. I ate some of it last night for dinner and was blown away by how tender it was when it was well done. Marbeled does not even begin to describe it.



The food here is different. I'm sure I'm not totally processing the impact this trip is making on how I will perceive food in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks amazing. how much did the blue-fin tuna, which i've heard so much about, sell for?

-brandon

Sydney said...

Those tuna can go up the several thousand dollars I'm pretty sure. Japanese is not my strong suit so I'm not sure how much those in particular went for.

I was surprised how much of the tuna was actually frozen though, I thought there would be more fresh ...

syd