Monday, March 31, 2008

Tuesday, April 1 (2:32PM)

When it rains in Cambodia the Internet stops working. Something I was not aware of until I arrived here.

Yesterday we left Ho Chi Minh, but not before both Mum and I graduated from the Vietnam Cookery Center. We spent the morning before out flight at the center learning about Vietnamese cuisine and also practicing a few dishes. It was nice to be in a kitchen again, I finally felt like I was mildly in my element for the first time since we arrived in Asia.



Mies.



Mum.



Meal. (Caramelized sea bass and sour fish soup.)

Our flight into Cambodia was forced to circle the runway due to rain, the same rain the killed my Internet access for the last 24 hours. Once we landed we were picked up by our hotel (Hotel de la Paix), which is a very swanky place by the way, and taken to our room. We then went to the Hotel restaurant for a seven course meal. The meal was different. The word I would use to describe Cambodian food is pungent, lots of fermented flavours and fish sauce. An experience worth having though, especially for 28$, plus a wine pairing for 17$. Things are very inexpensive in Cambodia.

This morning we went to Angkor Wat, we were up at 4:30AM and arrived at the temple at 5AM. The sunrise over the temple was a tad underwhelming because of clouds but the temple itself is pretty unbelievable.



Angkor Wat before dawn.



Saying Hello to my Favorite restaurant in Boston, owned by a Cambodian family.



Inside Angkor Wat, a view across one of the pools in the temple.

The other temples near Angkor Wat were equally if not more exciting. Mum missed out on those due to stomach issues, which she blames on the Cooking School. Miraculously, I was fine.



Giant tree growing out of Temple.



Buddha face on gate to Buddha Temple.



Some of the 400 Buddha faces carved into Temple.

Cambodia is a very interesting place, there are still live land mines scattered around the country and yet in Siem Reap there are literally dozens of expensive hotels either already operating or being built. Last year there were 2 million tourists that visited, this year they are expecting 5 million. These are just a couple of things that makes Cambodia a place unlike I have ever been before. It's hard to describe.

Tomorrow we leave for Laos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, are you the sweetest Twin Donuts customer ever, or what?!
Why am I the only one commenting? Come on, people!

Sydney said...

I love the Twin Donut, best restaurant in Boston...

I noticed that, I think I'll have to do a better job of being engaging.

syd

Anonymous said...

Syd you look soooo happy in that picture!
Donna came back from her 5 weeks in Aruba finally and asked if I'd heard from you, I caught her up on your trip. I promised to send her the link.